Unique engagement rings and unconventional wedding bands that break all the rules.
This is your chance to create something special
A Fairina Cheng ring is for those who want more than a flashy piece of bling on their finger. We specialise in alternative engagement rings for those who value the stories behind their jewellery just as much as the sparkle of a hand-selected gem.
A Fairina Cheng piece is for you if you want a commitment ring that tells your shared story, in a way that only you can tell it.
To hell with everything you've been taught about what an engagement ring should look like
Your engagement ring doesn’t have to feature a diamond. It doesn’t have to cost three months’ salary and bigger isn’t always better.
We believe in standing out, not following the crowd. So if you want something unconventional, quirky and wildly different, we’ll be the first to say “go for it”!
The custom jewels we love to create are delightfully bold and intensely personal. They may not be what everyone else expects. But they’re authentic and meaningful and that’s all that matters!BOOK YOUR COMPLIMENTARY CONSULT
How the design process works
Step 1: Discuss
First, we chat online, over the phone or in person in a way that makes the design process easy, fun and stress-free. We might discuss any meaningful symbols, special memories or quirky inside jokes you can incorporate into your design. By the end of the first catch up, we generally have a good idea of the direction of your piece.
Step 2: Design
Based on our discussion, we might go through some examples, sketches and gemstones. Together, we refine the design until you’re happy.
Step 3: Create
The third step (arguably the most exciting part) is where your story gets translated into a highly personalised keepsake. Throughout the journey, you get work-in-progress updates as your design comes to life. It’s a fun way to get an insight into part of the custom jewellery process that many don’t get to see. From confirmation of your order, you’ll generally have your jewellery within 8 weeks (although this can vary).
Frequently asked questions
Where do I start?
If you have ideas or inspiration photos, email them through or book a call. However don’t worry if you don’t. We can show you some options.
Helpful information includes:
- What gemstones or colours you might want to use
- What metal you’re interested in (eg. rose gold, yellow gold or platinum)
- A little about you or the person you’re designing for
- Any ideas or stories you want included
If you have no idea what you want, don’t be afraid to write an email that goes something like this:
Text: I have no idea what I want!
This happens more often than you might think. You may be surprised how easy it can be to turn those jumbled ideas into a design you absolutely love. Send a custom jewellery enquiry or book your complimentary call.
How much does a custom engagement ring cost?
Pricing for a custom engagement ring can vary significantly depending on the gemstones you choose, the metal it’s made in and the complexity of the design. We can approach the budgeting process in two ways:
- Let us know your budget range and we can design with this budget in mind
- Let us know your design preferences and we can provide an estimate based on your requirements
We’re here and happy to chat if you need guidance. Send a custom jewellery enquiry or book your complimentary call.
How long does it take to create a bespoke piece?
The custom design process consists of a design phase and a making phase. The design phase can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or more. Once the design is confirmed with a deposit, the making phase begins. Making your jewellery can take between 6 to 8 weeks (excluding shipping), although this varies depending on the design. Send a custom jewellery enquiry if you have a specific timeframe in mind.
Can custom orders be exchanged or refunded?
Custom orders are created through extensive consultation and take a lot more time and work than standard production pieces. As they’re made especially for you, we aren’t able to accept returns or exchanges. However (as many of our customers will tell you) it’s our top priority to make sure that each piece that leaves the studio is crafted to a high standard (and makes you do an excited jig when you receive it). Read the Custom Order Agreement for more info.
Does my engagement ring have to have a diamond in it?
We totally understand why you might think so (thanks Hollywood)! But the answer is no. What’s important is that your engagement ring feels right for you. This may mean that it features a diamond, a sapphire, a pebble from the beach or no gem at all.
There are some considerations to keep in mind, such as gemstone durability and practicality of the design. But your ring definitely doesn’t have to look a certain way just because society says so.
An alternative (and highly effective) approach is to determine what story you want your jewellery to tell. We show you how here. Book a call or send a custom jewellery enquiry and we can walk you through the process.
Are your gems and metals ethically sourced?
The way your jewels are made are just as important as how they look.
Wherever possible, we aim to source gems first from Australian merchants, miners and cutters (generally starting with Sydney-based suppliers, before going interstate and then overseas if needed). Our network includes suppliers of sapphires, diamonds and gemstones that restore their mining sites after use, recycle wastewater and are powered by renewable energy.
Metals are sourced from local providers who invest in minimising their environmental impact. Precious metals are recycled from old jewellery and industry, or sourced from Australian and/or Australasian mines. Environmental management plans help minimise the release of harmful substances, including state-of-the-art systems to treat air, remove heavy metals and recycle wastewater.
Read more about our approach to sustainability.
What metals do you work with?
We predominantly make jewellery in yellow gold, rose gold, white gold and platinum. We can also source and custom make rings in metals like titanium, stainless steel and zirconium. If you’re interested in reading more about the differences between metals, check out our guides:
Can you recycle the gemstones and metals from my existing jewellery?
Possibly! Creating new pieces from pre-loved jewels is a great way to turn your treasures (and their stories) into beautiful, environmentally friendly jewellery. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.
While we’re happy to work with jewellery and gemstones that you provide, it isn’t guaranteed that they can be worked into a new piece. Gemstones from previously-owned jewellery may have existing damage that isn’t visible until the stones are removed, while certain metals may not be suitable for melting or re-working. Although all care is taken, customer-provided gems and metals aren’t replaced or reimbursed if lost, stolen or damaged in our custody. Read the Custom Order Agreement for more info.
An alternative option is to trade your unworn gold jewellery in for a credit towards your custom piece. This is a great option for jewellery that you know you’ll never wear or isn’t suitable for reworking. Send a custom jewellery enquiry for more information.
How do I find my partner's ring size while keeping the proposal a secret?
The most accurate way to find a ring size is to have your partner’s finger measured by a jeweller. However if the proposal needs to be kept hush hush, you can:
- Measure one of their existing rings, ideally one worn on the left ring finger.
- Ask family and friends who may already know the answer.
- Pretend you’re looking for a gift for a friend or sibling and take your partner ring shopping with you.
- Propose with a stand-in proposal ring. This means you can guesstimate (to an extent) for the proposal ring and get an accurate finger size measured later. This also means your partner can be involved in the process of creating their engagement ring, which some people absolutely love!
For more details, check out our guide to finding a ring size without spoiling the big surprise.
What if I get the ring size wrong?
In most cases it’s possible to resize a ring if you get the size wrong. If you think your ring may need to be resized, don’t place engravings, gemstones or other special features at the bottom of the band. There are some situations that could make your ring difficult or risky to resize. Send a custom jewellery enquiry for more specific advice.
What if my partner wants to design their own engagement ring?
Some people love the surprise. Some people love the deeply personal experience of creating their own unique design.
If you’re keen on a surprise proposal, consider using a stand-in proposal ring. A proposal ring is usually more affordable and can often be delivered in less time than a custom engagement ring. It also means that an accurate finger size can be taken after the proposal and your partner can play a part in designing the ring they’ve always dreamed of.
Send a custom jewellery enquiry to have your questions answered.
Looking to propose without spoiling the surprise?
Check out the Proposal Hub for tips on planning an amazing secret proposal!
Your ring design may be inspired by a moment in your shared history. Or have a hidden feature that only you know about. Whatever that may be, it will tell a story that you and your partner can call yours. Here are some of our favourite tales.
She said yep!
The best part about being a jeweller is the super cool, ultra chill people I get to design for! Meet Luke and Alicia, whose story makes me smile every time I read it. This is how their desire to one-up each other ended with them celebrating their engagement atop a Hawaiian volcano. Read the full story.
A truly unique engagement ring
Jana wasn’t interested in the traditional bling and wasn’t looking to flaunt a flashy solitaire. Instead, she wanted an unconventional engagement ring that was uniquely hers, inspired by the works of her favourite Austrian artist, Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Read the full story.
A ring with a fishy little secret
Tom was looking for a handmade ring and his requirements were pretty flexible. It should be in white gold, the stone should be green… oh and “can you put a fish on it?”. This project sparked the story of The Fish Ring, one of our favourite untraditional engagement ring designs. Read the full story.
- Fairina helped me get the perfect custom engagement ring designed and made for my partner. She took the time to get to know my partner's tastes, and worked through lots of options for metals, gems, designs and settings. She was so patient and helpful, took the time to send me progress pictures and updates, and made sure I was happy before declaring it finished. I would recommend her to anyone looking for custom jewellery of any kind, but especially for an engagement ring. Thanks again Fairina!Chris McCannSydney, Australia
- I came to Fairina with my mother's old diamond ring with dreams of transforming it into a new engagement ring. Fairina turned my broad thoughts into an elegant, creative and personal design. She was responsive at answering my questions and kept me updated with each step of the ring crafting process. My partner and I are ecstatic about the ring - it's beautiful, made with love and is more special than anything we could have bought at a store.Olivia LoweSydney, Australia
- I can’t thank Fairina enough for the most perfect engagement ring. Fairina made the process easy from the start, working with my lack of fully formed ideas and making something truly ‘me’, which is totally unique and so so special. The communication throughout the whole process was wonderful, as she shared progress updates and photos. On top of all that, it was excellent pricing for a custom ring. I couldn’t recommend Fairina more!Shae NivenSydney, Australia
- When Tom asked for a ring he couldn’t have imagined how well Fairina would have interpreted his idea. It was much better than he had imagined. It was creative yet a subtle design that matched my personality and taste to a t. I love wearing it and get comments all the time about its amazing design. Thanks so much for the ring that suits us and will be part of our story forever xxxxx.Claudia CowellSydney, Australia
- I can not even begin to tell you how much I love the ring you made! My fiance surprised me with it yesterday and I absolutely love it. I have already gotten so many compliments on it and the style fits me perfectly! The ring itself is beautifully crafted and the the gems you sourced are uniquely wonderful. Thank you so much!Kathleen DummPhillipines
- Couldn't choose someone better to make an engagement ring! Fairina was great from start to end and helped me to create exactly what I wanted. She sent me photos through the whole process and my fiancée was delighted with the final result! Outstanding work, can't recommend her enough!Thales MirandaSydney, Australia
Ready to chat?
Book a call to have your engagement ring questions answered. By the end of the chat, we often have a good idea of the direction of your design.
Send a custom jewellery enquiry
Send in your ideas and questions and we’ll respond with some recommendations.